I was baffled. You see, biological parents are generally not thrilled about foster parents. To them, foster parents are doing the job that they see themselves fit to do. Foster parents are raising THEIR children. The children that they birthed. The children that they love, in the way that they know how to "love." Essentially, foster parents are their competition.
My heart aches for this couple. They are broken, hurting, and surrounded by influences that make it harder for them to succeed. You will never hear me make excuses for people who abuse or neglect their children. HOWEVER, if you look at generational patterns of poverty, lack of stability, and abuse, it is a little easier to understand HOW things like that happen. Again, I am not making excuses for them, but my heart is heavy for them tonight. You know why? I HAVE JESUS---someone who will listen to my heartache, grieve with me, and pull me through. I have friends and family who have been incredibly supportive and who I KNOW are lifting my family up in prayer. THIS COUPLE does not. They do not have a support system. They do not know Jesus. And they have A LOT to overcome in order to "make it."
The irony of this, to me, is that Jesus used this broken, hurting couple to minister to MY heart. To know that this one couple was blessed by our investment in their baby for the last 3 months makes it TOTALLY worth it. They seriously want to take US out to dinner?! Amazing! And that fact that Baby's Mom kept reaching into the car and trying to comfort me when we were ALL crying?! I couldn't believe it!
We have not chosen foster care for accolades, thank-yous, or recognition. (Trust me, it would be A LOT of work for a pat on the back!) I never expected anything from any of these parents. But to know that the love we gave Baby was recognized and appreciated by them somehow brings healing to my heart. Their words were the reassurance I needed that yes, we are doing the right thing. And yes, it is worth it.
2 comments:
I am crying and my heart is full of joy for you. The amazingly creative and meaningful way that God is meeting you in this. I love your heart for the birth parents. What you've said is so true and many times my hurts for them almost as much as for the children. Thank you for sharing, this is so encouraging to me too.
God is Good! What an amazing way for Him to work in your life! I know that you truly understand the pain and sorrow of birthparents that are not being able to raise their children and these birth parents see this in you and want to comfort you!
I pray that God continues to heal your broken heart!
Post a Comment